By: Cait Marie
Well, July was an awful reading month. I thought the previous couple months were slow, but I only finished two books this past month… and one of those was an audiobook that I had finished most of the month before! It wasn’t awful because of the books; I enjoyed what I did read. I was just super busy with other things and then I started getting into the dreaded book slump. So here’s what I read:
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare – Like I’ve mentioned before, I am rereading all of Clare’s Shadowhunter books in chronological order via audiobook. I made my way through The Infernal Devices and now I’m working through The Mortal Instruments. This book will always hold a dear place in my heart. I read it back in 2009 or 2010 for the first time and quickly fell in love with this world and series. It’s what made m really fall in love with reading as a new adult and it truly changed my life. This is also the book I’ve read the most number of times in my life. This was the 6-7th time I’ve read it and I still love it!
- The Gates of Golorath by R. M. Garino – This fantasy took me longer than I care to admit, but I loved it! I had never read an epic fantasy, to my knowledge, before. It was something so new to me, and while it was intimidating in the beginning, I am very glad I read it. I cannot wait for the next book to be released! Check out the full review here.
July was a very slow reading month, but August is already off to a better start! I’m feeling very ambitious. I’m hoping the slump is over. I also have a week off at the end of the month and plan to do a LOT of reading. Here is what I’m hoping to get through this month:
- City of Ashes and City of Glass by Cassandra Clare – I have actually already finished City of Ashes and I’ve started City of Glass. I’m getting through these audiobooks really fast.
- The Assassin’s Blade, Throne of Glass, and Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas – I’m doing a series challenge with my school’s book club. I put the whole thing together and am so behind! I’m about halfway through The Assassin’s Blade. We are having a mid-series meeting next week, so I’d like to at least get through a few of the books. I have read them before, though, so it’s not that horrible if I don’t before then.
- Grim Lovelies by Megan Shepherd – This book comes out in October but I am receiving an ARC of it! I am so excited!
- Scylla by Lyla Grayce – This is book two of the Lunar Medallion series (read my review of book one, Areion, here). I am now a beta reader for these books! I’ve read part one of Scylla already and it’s fantastic! I can’t wait to read the whole thing together. The book is set to release in September. You can read about the book and how to preorder it on our Writer’s Corner page!
- A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir – This book was released in June, I had been waiting months for it, and I haven’t been able to read much of it yet. I’ve been hearing great things about it. The first two books are fantastic, so it’s not hard to believe!
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black – I bought this book months ago and haven’t been able to even open it. However, the longer it takes me to read it, I guess the less time I’ll have to wait until the next book.
What are you reading this month? Have you read any of the books listed? Let me know in the comments!
And here are the books I bought or received in July:
- Whisper Me This – Kerry Anne King
- And I Darken – Kiersten White
- Now I Rise – Kiersten White
- This Savage Song – Victoria Schwab