By: Cait Marie
May did not go as planned in the reading department. I did finish 6 books, but there were so many I started and didn’t finish because this month got crazy busy. I bought or received 19 books, well technically 21, which leads me to a funny story:
In November of 2017, I preordered War Storm, the final book in the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard. A few months ago, I found out that the War Storm book tour was coming to Indiana. If you read my last book haul, you know how excited I was that this was happening. I registered for the event and because I was one of the first 100 I was told I’d get a free copy of the book. So, I cancelled my preorder (or so I thought). I then found out that to get the free copy you had to have a library card for the county in which the event was held. So I preordered it again. Long story short, I apparently never cancelled the first one, then was given the free copy. I ended up with THREE copies of War Storm.
The event was absolutely fantastic! Victoria Aveyard and Francesca Zappia spoke for a little while and answered questions about their books. It was actually really inspiring. You know, when I wasn’t busy fangirling… We then got to line up to meet them, get out books signed, and take pictures. I got two copies of War Storm autographed (one for my best friend), and apparently I could have brought the whole series for her to sign! Only one could be personalized per person, but still. I should have brought all of them with me. I also got Eliza and Her Monsters signed. It was a really fun time. It was crazy getting to talk to Victoria Aveyard, a favorite author, and I managed to do so without visibly freaking out.
Alright, on to the book chat! Here are the books I finished this month:
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas – This novella was released May 1 and I read it within 24 hours. You all know by now that I am obsessed with this series. Well, this book did not disappoint at all. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait for the new books coming out! Check out my here.
- The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth – I finally finished this book! It is the second book of the Carve the Mark duology, both of which I went back and forth between the hardback copies and audiobooks. I highly recommend the audiobooks; the narrators did an excellent job and I truly miss listening to them every night before going to sleep. This duology is fantastic. I haven’t read very much sci-fi, so it was new to me, but I loved this duology. The full review on both books can be found here.
- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch – This is the first book in a trilogy that I had been debating starting for a while. This was another audiobook, although I did start it as an eBook. I am glad I gave the book a chance, I really liked it and I plan on continuing the books. Check out the full review here.
- Child of Water by Lela Grayce – This is a novella in The Lunar Medallion series that I have recently fallen in love with. I received this as an ARC from Lela, and I hope to continue receiving them. Regardless, I will absolutely be continuing the series. Read the full review of the novella here, and the review for the first book, Areion, here.
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – This was a reread I had to do for class. I was excited to read this again as it has been a few years. It’s still wonderful. I mainly listened to the audiobook, so I will probably finish out the trilogy that way.
- War Storm by Victoria Aveyard – As I mentioned earlier, this is the fourth and final book in the Red Queen series. This is one of my absolute favorite series, and this book did not disappoint. I loved seeing the end play out and I think Aveyard did a great job of concluding the story. However, I wish there was a little more to the end. I feel like I need a little bit more closure on a couple characters. The full review will be up on Monday.
Now for the books I plan on reading in June:
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – I have managed to avoid all spoilers for this book/movie for years now! It’s one of the books I have to read for class, which is perfect because it has been on my TBR for a very long time.
- The Gates of Golorath by R.M. Garino – Technically I’m over halfway through this book already. I had hoped to finish it, as the author sent me a copy to review, but May was a crazy hectic month!
- A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir – This third book in the An Ember in the Ashes series is being released June 12 and I am so excited! I absolutely loved the first two books, so I’m anxious to see where the story goes. I probably should have reread the others first, oops.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky – I’ve been meaning to read this for months. It’s one of my sister’s favorites, so I told her I would. Well, now it’s one of my book club books of the month! More motivation!
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas – I am doing a series challenge for the SNHU book club and we’re reading all of the books in this series before the release of the last book, Kingdom of Ash, in October. This is actually a reread and I am so super excited!
- Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas – The second book in the Throne of Glass series. See above.
- The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare – A lot of rereads this month! I am hosting a discussion for a different book club this month and I get to pick the book. The meeting has to be at the end of the month, and, ironically, the only day I can do this is on my birthday. So, I went with the first book of my favorite series!
- Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare – Oh look, another reread. I am rereading this series via audiobook, so I’m planning on finishing at least this one. It has been too long since I’ve read these books.
What are you wanting to read this month? Excited for any releases?
And last, but not least, all the books I bought or received this month:
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas
- Crisanta Knight: Protagonist Bound by Geanna Culbertson
- Child of Water by Lela Grayce (ARC from author)
- Twice Dead by Caitlin Seal (ARC from Charlesbridge Publishing)
- The Gates of Golorath by R.M. Garino (Review Copy from author)
- Zenith by Sasha Alsberg
- Burned by Annabel Chase
- Long May She Reign by Rhiannon Thomas
- Crystal Magic by Madeline Freeman
- Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin
- Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauk
- Salt by Paulin Creeden
- Lies That Bind Us by Andrew Hart
- Dare Mighty Things by Heathere Kaczynski
- War Storm by Victoria Aveyard (x3)
- The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
- The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
- The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson
- Morrighan by Mary E. Pearson