By: Cait Marie
Hello, hello! Wow, so this is super late! October has been so incredibly busy that I haven’t had much time to write for Functionally Fictional. That doesn’t mean the reading has ceased, though! In fact, I read seven books in September. Here’s what I read:
- Sea Witch by Sarah Henning – This book was amazing! It was a retelling of The Little Mermaid, kind of, but told from a different perspective. The whole thing was great, but the ending really blew me away. Check out the full review here.
- Twice Dead by Caitlin Seal – I received this book from Charlesbridge Publishing and really liked it. It was very different from what I normally read, but I enjoyed it. It’s about a city where necromancy is a common thing, and a girl who doesn’t agree with those practices is brought back from the dead. I cannot wait for the next book! Read my full review here.
- City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare – Still working on my reread! This is the fifth book of The Mortal Instruments series. This particular one always intrigued me. It feels very different than the others, I think because of how the team is split up. I love it!
- The Assassin’s Blade by Sarah J. Maas – I finally finished this for my reread! It took forever because I keep reading other things. I still love it, it’s still devastating, and it still makes me cry. I decided I don’t like starting with it, though. I’m glad that during my initial read I read it after Tower of Dawn.
- These Rebel Waves by Sara Raasch – I loved this book! It was about pirates, magic, and impending war between kingdoms. So, basically all my favorite things. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it. Here’s my full review.
- The Exchange by M. F. Lorson – I received this book from the author and really enjoyed it. It is about an time travel exchange program, in short. Plus, there’s a bit of romance. It was really good. Check out the full review here.
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee – I listened to the audiobook again. I claimed that it was in preparation for the sequel, The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy, but I really just wanted to listen to it again. I love it so much! You can find the original full review here.
Though October is busy, it is also a month full of new releases. I am extremely excited for a few of them. Here is what I am hoping to read this month:
- Reactive by Becky Moynihan – As I’m writing this late, I’ve technically already finished this one. I absolutely loved it. This was released October 2! Check out the review here.
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee – I’ve started this and love it already! It’s about Felicity trying to get into medical school, but she keeps being denied for being a girl. I expect all sorts of shenanigans like in the first book. This was released October 2!
- What If It’s Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera – What happens when two favorite authors collaborate and publish a book together? Caitlin freaks out, that’s what! I preordered the box from Indigo with a signed copy and other goodies. It just arrived today, but I started the audiobook a couple nights ago because I couldn’t wait any longer. This was released October 9!
- Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas – I have had a countdown on my phone for this book since January. It releases on October 23, and I don’t think I have ever been so anxious about a book in my life. I’m already working ahead on things so that I can just read it as soon as it gets here next Tuesday!
- Throne of Glass – Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas – Yeah… I haven’t finished my reread (I’m halfway through Throne of Glass), so I’m going to attempt to read 5.5 books in a week. No pressure. Oh, I should also mention I have finals due this week…
- Just For a While by Zoe Haslie – I received this book from the author. I read another of her books a couple weeks ago and loved it. They’re cute YA romances, which is a relief sometimes after so much heavy fantasy. Check out her other book over in our Writer’s Corner!
- City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare – It’s time for the last book of The Mortal Instruments reread of 2018! The timing is working out perfectly. I plan on listening to Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows next, and I will be finishing up just in time for the release of Queen of Air and Darkness on December 4! This was not planned, so I think it’s hilarious and amazing that it worked out this well. I would have been done sooner, but Scribd keeps cutting off my audiobooks because I listen to too many too fast (hahaha).
What are you reading this month? Have you read any of the books listed? Let me know in the comments!
Last but not least, here are all the books I bought or received throughout September:
- Catwoman: Soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Furyborn by Claire Legrand
- Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Scylla by Lela Grayce
- The Lost Tayamu by Ben Cass
- Vampire Hearts by Katie M. John
- The Exchange by M. F. Lorson
- The Rule of One by Ashley Saunders and Leslie Saunders
- Reactive by Becky Moynihan
- The Black Witch by Laurie Forest
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
- Charm by J. A. Armitage
Leave a Reply