By: Cait Marie
Well, I didn’t make it through the 20 or so books that were on my TBR for the month… but I did finish 9! And I’m halfway through like 3-4 more, so I’d say that’s a pretty good month. It’s more than usual at least. Let’s jump in, shall we?
Books I Read
- Shatter Me – Tahereh Mafi — I am rereading the series in preparation of Defy Me (released today!). I love this series so much. It’s a YA dystopian that intrigued me from page one. I’m loving it just as much this time as I did the first time reading it. My full, non-spoiler review on the series can be found here.
- Bloodleaf – Crystal Smith — I received an ARC of this book from HMH Publishing, and it was my first physical ARC ever! I was so excited! It was one of my most anticipated books of the year, and it did not disappoint. You can find my full review of this debut fantasy here.
- Shadow Me – Tahereh Mafi — This was a newly released novella, which comes after Restore Me, but I couldn’t wait until the end of my reread. As soon as it was sent to my Kindle, just after midnight on the day of its release, I read it in one go. It’s from Kenji’s point of view, and he’s my favorite, so naturally I loved it. However, it also blew my mind. It’s the ending of Restore Me, but from his POV, and it just made me question everything I thought I knew about that traumatic cliffhanger. I don’t know what’s what now and I need my copy of Defy Me to get here like yesterday.
- Irresistible – Melanie Harlow — I don’t ever talk about the romances I read, but this one was adorable and I loved it. It’s about a single father of three girls, whose co-worker/boss’s daughter starts helping out as a nanny. It’s cute and funny, and, of course, as steamy as you’d assume with that cover.
- Destroy Me – Tahereh Mafi — This novella goes between books 1 and 2. I don’t normally read novellas, but this one was included in the Shatter Me ebook I read last year, so I just continued reading. Man am I glad I did! It’s from Warner’s point of view and you get to see what’s going on in his mind—why he does what he does—just after the end of Shatter Me. This short story is crucial to the series.
- Golden Curse – M. Lynn — This is a YA retelling of Rapunzel. Although, there isn’t much connection to the long, magical-haired princess we all know. Regardless, I loved this book! It has that fairy tale essence, but with a whole new story. You can find my full review here.
- Unravel Me – Tahereh Mafi — Book 2 of this series is less exciting in some ways than book 1, but I actually love it more. There is so much character development in this book and I love seeing Juliette grow into such a strong person (mentally and physically). Also, because of the Destroy Me novella, there is a whole new level to Warner that makes things that much more interesting. Plus, Kenji is much more prominent and becomes Juliette’s best friend and I love it with all my heart!
- Plus 2 romances
- And I’m over halfway through 3-4 more books.
Books I Want To Read/Finish In April
- The Red Scrolls of Magic – Cassandra Clare — Almost done with my ARC!
- Fracture Me – Tahereh Mafi — Already reread yesterday
- Ignite Me – Tahereh Mafi — Reread
- Restore Me – Tahereh Mafi — Reread
- Shadow Me – Tahereh Mafi — Reread
- Defy Me – Tahereh Mafi — Released 4/2!
- Clockwork Angel – Cassandra Clare — Reread for #READShadowhunters Read-A-Long
- Daughter of Smoke & Bone – Laini Taylor — Our April Book-of-the-Month! (Live Chat TBA)
- A Curse So Dark and Lonely – Brigid Kemmerer
- Queen of Air and Darkness – Cassandra Clare
- The Demon King – Cinda Williams Chima
- The Star-Touched Queen – Roshani Choski — For Magical Readathon
- Thief of Cahraman – Lucy Tempest — For Magical Readathon
- Zenith – Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings — For Magical Readathon
- Illuminae – Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff — For Magical Readathon
- The Princess and the Fangirl – Ashley Poston — Released 4/2; For Magical Readathon
- Wicked Saints – Emily A. Duncan — Released 4/2
- Descendant of the Crane – Joan He — Released 4/9
- All the Walls of Belfast – Sarah J. Carlson
I know this list is super long, like last month’s, but I’m already almost done with 5 of them. Plus, with the Shatter Me reread, #READShadowhunters Read-A-Long, and Magical Readathon, it’s just inevitable. It’s going to be a busy month!
Have you read any of these? What’s on your TBR this month?
And now for the long list of books I bought or received. My TBR is never ending…
But first, a story
Once upon a time (aka last Tuesday), I received a mysterious box in the mail. But it wasn’t just any box. It was a Malec box.
With the upcoming release of The Red Scrolls of Magic, I thought someone had just reused their ARC box to send me something because I had won a few things the past few weeks. I didn’t recognize the sender’s name at first glance, but I was distracted by the pretty box. So, I began opening it…
To find an actual ARC inside felt like I’d won the magical lottery or something. I literally cried.
(I then looked at the box again and noticed “Simon and Schuster” beneath the sender’s name. I had requested an ARC to review the week before, not actually expecting one. I never heard back, so I really didn’t think that’s what it was while opening it.)
The fact that my first physical ARC, that wasn’t won, is my precious Malec book… It’s just too perfect. It was my most anticipated book of the year. Magnus and Alec have been my favorites for nearly a decade!
Alright, now to the rest of the books.
Books I Bought (Or Got For Free!)
- Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us – Robert Hare — For school
- The Wisdom of Psychopaths – Kevin Dutto — For school
- The Keatyn Chronicles (Books 1-2; ebooks) – Jillian Dodd
- Fate’s Call — Anthology
- Fierce and Fated — Anthology
- The Change – Teyla Branton
- The Red Scrolls of Magic – Cassandra Clare — Personalized signed copy from Good Choice Reading
- Bloodleaf – Crystal Smith — Bought as gift
- Weathering the Wicked – C. Penticoff
- Hollow Book, 3 AM Kisses (Boxed Set; ebooks) – Addison Moore
- Spy Girl (Book 1-2; ebooks) – Jillian Dodd
- A Lily in the Night – Kristen Fields — Amazon First Reads
- Neverland – Anna Katmore
- My Dead Blue Caterpillar – R. D. Murray
Books I Received From Authors Or Publishers
- Obsidian Horizon – Heather Renee and Lela Grayce — ARC
- The Red Scrolls of Magic – Cassandra Clare — ARC
- All the Walls of Belfast – Sarah J. Carlson
- Requiem’s Reach – R. M. Garino — ARC
Books I Received As Gifts
- Charles and Diana: A Royal Romance – Janice Dunlop
- Diana in Private – Lady Colin Campbell
Both were from my grandma, who knows how much I love the royal family. She’s always bringing me things about Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Diana. ❤